Creating western Germany's undisputed center for surf sport, embedded in an eco-friendly, all seasons staycation, wellness and fitness resort.
- to create a unique and world class surfing visitor attraction in Krefeld and NRW.
- to strengthen Krefeld city as a high quality tourism destination by using sport/leisure.
- to deliver a range of social and economic benefits.
- avoiding the CO2 footprint by "surfing on the doorstep".
- achieving a close-to-zero carbon footprint in all surf park operations
- Wavegarden Cove Surfing Lagoon
- Surf exercise pool & hot tubs
- Camping area (tents, RV´s & caravans, tiny houses)
- Surf shop
- Restaurant, bar & food trucks
- Skate park
- Climbing area
- Beach volleyball
- Corporate & event areas
- Public common areas & kids play areas
State of the art surfing lagoon delivering a maximum number, quality and variety of waves for all levels and ages as well as the highest surfer capacity.
All services and facilities for quality changing/shower areas, surf instruction, equipment hire, etc.
Modern surf, skate and lifestyle store. A mix of restaurant and bar outlets: Public access restaurant with outdoor terracing and views of surfing lagoon with surf and beach lifestyle atmosphere.
Area for tents, RV parking, tiny houses. Multipurpose Fitness Studio offering yoga and surf related fitness activities. A series of supporting leisure and entertainment facilities and activities: skatepark, climbing, beach volleyball, kids playground, etc.
Coaching, competitions & events:
Best international surfers, associated sports, Olympic training, team building, etc. Rich offer of cultural events like art exhibitions, cinema evenings, etc. A world class surfside promenade and boardwalk with up close views of the surfing lagoon.
On site car/motorbike parking for users.
Our goal is to achieve a “Net Positive Impact” thru the Surfpark Krefeld by delivering high social and economic benefits to the population in a sustainable and responsible way. Therefore we feel obliged to the climate goals of Germany and strive to meet the official climate targets by 2030.
We have chosen the plot of Krefeld´s Lake Elfrath in such a way that the ecological impact in terms of transportation, bio-diversity, noise, light, and many other factors is as low as possible. In the 1970´s the site was used as a gravel pit and later on filled up with contamined building waste. Today the city of Krefeld is planning to develop a modern sports and leisure area.
Optimizing energy use
The Wavegarden patented system uses electric motors to move mechanical parts – there is nothing more energy efficient than this method year to date. Usage of renewable energies and solar panels combined with green roofs, high efficiency and renewable or recycled building materials to reduce the CO2 footprint.
In terms of water conservation, at an estimated 30,000m3 to 50,000m3 per year, similar to an Olympic swimming pool.
Landlocked German surfers depend on travelling by car or plane to the ocean. The Surfpark offers perfect waves to the doorstep in a climate friendly way.
Further sustainable practices planned
- Public transportations available to connect the facilities with the local community
- Implementation of bicycle parking and green vehicle infrastructures
- Sustainable food onsite, zero waste generation policy
- Surf gear has a second life cycle (donated, recycled or reused)
- Partnerships with agreed sustainability commitment purposes
- Ocean and nature conservancy awareness and education of the community